My mom and I are both Pisceans with our birthdays separated just by a day. After years, this time we did celebrate it together and oh, what fun! There were balloons, ribbons, food, games and obviously a gorgeous cake! Surprising as it might sound, I had never got a chance to bake for Mom and so I was all geared up to make full use of this opportunity. For her I baked a vanilla sponge cake (recipe here) with dark chocolate ganache topped with caramel frosting and fresh strawberries. The look on her face when she saw the cake is a memory which will stay with me forever. She was happy, proud and felt so special !
I hope this recipe will add joy to your special days too. 🙂
- Vanilla sponge cake made using 4 eggs.
- 200 gms dark compound chocolate
- 200 ml fresh heavy cream
- 200 ml fruit juice
- Strawberries for the topping (optional, you can pick any other topping e.g. oreo)
- Caramel Buttercream for the topping (optional)
How to make the chocolate ganache?
- Heat 200 gms of fresh cream in the microwave for a about a minute in 30 second bursts (till it gets a little sizzle).
- Pour it over roughly chopped 200 gms of dark chocolate and mix till a smooth mixture is formed.
- Allow it to cool till the mixture thickens (at least 30 minutes) and then whip it with an electric beater for about 4-5 minutes at medium to high speed. Your chocolate ganache is ready !! 🙂
How to assemble the cake?
- Slice the sponge cake on 4 horizontal slices using a long blade knife on a turntable.
- Soak them all well one by one with the fruit juice to keep them moist.
- Layer the slices with chocolate ganache and strawberry slices and finish with the covering the entire cake with ganache. Smooth it using a spatula and then add the toppings.
Here are some pics from the party. P.S. – I ran out of cake boards.