Yes, I have been MIA for the last couple of months ! Well, I won’t blame it fully on being caught up at work but also being lazy at times to being traveling the other times. I am just back from a vacation in Singapore and Bali and I just wish I never had to…Coming back from vacation felt so terrible that I wished for another one to overcome the feeling!
It was one of those evenings when I was creating an album from our trip and I started browsing through the pictures from our Europe trip last year. I came across this picture and it reminded me of those Pasta days in Rome. Before I could resist, I found myself in the kitchen trying to make my own version of this amazing pasta. Since, it is difficult to find cherry tomatoes here, I replaced them by the big juicy tomatoes.
- 2 cups penne pasta – boiled
- 1 Tomato – finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes – pureed
- ½ cup Basil Leaves – chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic – finely chopped
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Mozarella Cheese – grated
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
For The Garnish:
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese – grated
- Basil leaves – few springs
- Oregano & Chili Flakes (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute on a high flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook on a medium flame for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of water and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the mozzarella cheese and basil leaves and mix well.
- Just before serving, re-heat the tomato basil sauce, add the penne in it and toss well.
- Cook on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the sauce coats the pasta well.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese, basil leaves , oregano & chili flakes. Serve with some Wine and Garlic Bread !
P.S. Please share as much as you may like ! 🙂