If you have been reading my blog for sometime, you would know that I like things hot and spicy ! 😀 And I claim to love Chinese Food but the desi version of it. Fried Rice is a very easy one pot meal you can make and keep in advance for parties and just give it a 2 minute swirl in the microwave before serving. You can also serve it along with Chinese gravy (find recipe here).
Indo Chinese food is probably one of the very few Non- Indian cuisines which has a very high penetration in Indian food habits. Almost, everyone loves it and it makes a perfect menu option when you want to go non-traditional !
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Serves – 2 to 3
- 1 cup rice (I prefer short grained)
- 2 cups of water for cooking the rice (I steam it using a pressure cooker as it is quicker but you can also use about 4 cups of water and boil it in an open vessel)
- about 1.5 to 2 cups finely chopped vegetables including onions, spring onion whites, cabbage, capsicum or bell peppers ( you can add other vegetables of your choice too)
- 5 to 6 small sized garlic chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 – 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt as required
- Optional – 1/2 tsp red chili / green chili sauce (green chili sauce typically has vinegar so you can skip the vinegar in the recipe)
- Optional – 1 tbsp tomato sauce (if you like it a little sweet)
- Optional – Chinese salt / ajino moto – 1/4 tsp
- Optional – 2 tsp finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions greens for garnish
Step 1: Cook the rice with some salt and drops of oil and keep it aside for cooling. Meanwhile chop the veggies finely (Since, I served this fried rice with stir fried veggies in hot garlic sauce, I used minimal veggies to avoid overlap. But if you plan to make the fried rice alone, you can use all other veggies like baby corn, mushroom, french beans, carrots etc.)
Step 2: Heat oil in a pan (I use iron one to saute veggies and then transfer to a non-stick pan to avoid the rice from sticking to the pan. The high flame on iron pans gives it a smoky flavor). Add garlic and ginger and saute till a little golden and then add the veggies and saute on high flame for about 3-4 minutes. Keep tossing and turning them till they are tender but a little crunchy too.
Step 3: Add the sauces and vinegar and mix properly for about 30 secs and then add the rice. Mix well. Add ajino moto, salt and pepper as per taste. Cook for about 2 minutes to ensure the sauce is evenly mixed with the rice. Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot!
- Keep a check on the amount of salt you add as all sauces have salt in them.
- You can add scrambled eggs or grilled chicken chunks to make an egg or a chicken fried rice version of yours.
P.S. – Please share as much as you may like ! 🙂