Chicken tikka is an Indian dish made from chunks of chicken marinated in spices and grilled in a tandoor. However, since most of use don’t have tandoors at home, I am sharing a microwave recipe.
Chicken Tikka is one of those Indian dishes which is famous worldwide and has a lot of other variations too like chicken tikka masala , chicken tikka kathi role and many more.
Hope you enjoy!
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Preparation Time – Overnight
Serves – 4
- 250 gms boneless chicken
- 2 large green bell pepper/capsicum/shimla mirch (you can pick different colors)
- 1 medium size onion
- 200 gms hung curd/yogurt or thick curd/yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic
- 1 to 2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp jeera powder/cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder/coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp black pepper powder (you can skip if you don’t want it too spicy)
- juice of half lemon
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil or ghee or butter for brushing
- salt to taste
Step 1: Prepare the marinade and mix in the veggies and chicken (cut into cubes and poked in with a knife so that it gets tender till inside). Let this sit overnight in the refrigerator. If you don’t have much time at hand, you could alternatively microwave the chicken for 5 minutes and then marinade it for about 2 hours. This reduces the tenderizing time.
Step 2: Alternate the veggies and chicken on a skewer. Do not squeeze them too tight on the skewer (In case you are using bamboo skewers, soak it for half an hour in cold water before using them. This prevents them for getting burnt in the oven.)
Step 3: Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 25 minutes. Pause the oven after 10 minutes and brush a little oil and restart the baking. After another 10 minutes, turn the skewers on the other side and brush with a little oil. Bake for another 5 minutes and the paneer tikka is ready !
- I used convection mode in the microwave but you could also grill the chicken tikka in the microwave.
- Do not over bake as the chicken might get chewy.
- In case you do not have a microwave, you can shallow fry on a pan.
- To give it a charred effect, you can roast it on high flame of the gas stove (only if you are using a metal skewer).
Serve with green corriander chutney and onion rings!
You can also try the panner tikka recipe (click here for detailed recipe) by just replacing the chicken with paneer cubes for your vegetarian friends.
– With love. 🙂