I am a huge fan of Chinese food but I would certainly put a disclaimer that what I cook has some desi twist and I better call it Punjabi-Chinese. The most popular vegetarian Chinese dishes in India are Chowmein, Hakka Noodles, Machurian and Manchow Soup and I can promise that none of these are close to the authentic Chinese food. India is famous for the spicy food and Chinese food here is no different.
We were expecting a childhood friend over dinner the other day and I was contemplating what to cook could be both exciting and lip smacking. So, i decided to make some veg american chopsuey for dinner and it turned out to be an absolute delight.
American Chopsuey, a delicious savory dish prepared with crispy noodles and saucy stir-fried vegetables, is an Indian adaptation of popular American dish.
Ingredients (Servings: 4)
- Hakka Noodles – 500 gms
- Onion diced- 2 medium
- Capsicum diced – 1
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup shredded
- Green Chili – 2
- Spring Onion – 4 to 5 strands
- Ginger grated- 1 inch
- Garlic crushed – 10 cloves
- Soya Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Tomato Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Green Chili Sauce – 1/2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ajino moto (optional) – a pinch
- Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
- Refined Oil – for frying
- Par boil (boil till half cooked) the noodles with 1 tbsp oil in water to avoid stickiness. (It took me around 3 minutes but it may vary on hardness of water from place to place).
- Drain the noodles in a strainer and keep it aside to dry for half an hour. Pat it dry in a kitchen towel and make 4 portions of it. It looks like an entangled nest.
- Deep fry the nests one by one in oil till golden and crisp. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- For the sauce heat oil and add the onions and saute on high flame. It gives a very smoky flavor but you need to be on your toes when cooking on high flame.
- Once light brown, add ginger, garlic and green chili. After a minute add the other veggies. I kept it simple with cabbage and capsicum but you can use others like broccoli, bell pepper, carrot etc. Also add the white bottoms of spring onion at this point.
- After a couple of minutes the onion will look all sauted. Add the soya,tomato and chili sauce along with the vinegar. Add salt, ajino moto , pepper and red chili. (Now as you can sense this recipe is quite hot. So, you can skip the red chili powder to level it down).
- Dilute cornstarch in 1/2 cup water and add it to the veggies and bring to boil. You can chose the consistency you want for your sauce. You can put this sauce directly on the crispy noodles and serve. However, I chose to add some fully boiled noodles to this sauce and added that to my crispy noodles. This helped me make the dish more filling while reducing the crispy (oily) element of the dish.
- Garnish with green spring onion and Voila !
Hope you like the recipe. Please share as much as you like!